Friday, July 07, 2006

Hi Everyone,

I have had the great luck of having gone to some amazing shows these last months. The first, and the most transporting, was Gogol Bordello. My deliverance unto the phenomenon that is Eugene Hutz and Gogol Bordello is my dad's doing. He was tiring of being in their universe alone so invited me along. I was hesitant and unsure and a little resistant at first--at the show itself, before its start, I thought: it's going to get really LOUD. And oh man, it's going to get really HOT. And oh man, it's late and I'm tired and there's not a chair in the place to sit in. And oh man, my f-in feet hurt from traversing the city's 'walks all day. Those of you who have caught wind through e-mail about my experience, you know by now that despite all the above being true, after a mere two minutes of Eugene Hutz's thick Ukrainian accent, his seeming innocent catharsis of "f"words, his winning gypsy salutes, his finger snapping, his swashbuckling across the stage in his handlebar mustache and red leather jacket, I not only went willingly but hurled myself, face first almost, into the shoulder to shoulder crowd of happy, multiethnic NYC crowd, and hence, into the land of Gogol Bordello--after that, there was no turning back. I returned to my pops, two hours later, sweat-covered, head to toe, still jumping, talking a mile a minute about how amazing, and oh my god did you see that part when the Hutz was standing on top of the speaker and he jumped down and then right into the crowd and when he kicked his drink into the audience and when the Mexican rapper guy came out and oh my god that was so incredible, amazing . . . and on and on! many of you have already heard my stories about the show, how I helped the Hutz up onto the bass drum that some of us in the crowd were holding up--I wasn't tall enough to actually reach the drum, so I held on to a guy's muscly forearm instead, so I was one degree separated from the drum's metal frame. . . I still like to think that I had something to do with the fact that the drum, holding Pamela (one of the beautiful washboard players), didn't even slightly lean, for the length of a whole song (whilst she boomed on the thing with all her might). Eventually, the Hutz freestyle swam his way out on top of the crowd, and I touched his sweaty corduroyed calf and heave-hoed him, with the help of many others, onto the drum. So she's banginga away and he's kneeling over her, singing his gypsy heart out). The hours are a blur of sweat and jumping and screaming and bouncing and knocking into people and laughing. . .I could jump higher than anyone, with the help of a few neighboring and willing shoulders. Afterwards, I could have run the circumference of Manhatten with my arms in the air, screaming and yelling for all the celebration it brought out in me. If you ever get a chance to see GB . . .DO IT! It's a cure-all for any malaise or inner disturbance. Thsi isn't the end of this conversation. . .an essay in the works.

Last Friday, in contrast, Baryshnikov at Bard College:
Oh heavenly father.

Need I say more? Even standing still, he exudes grace and austerity and poise. Then he starts to move. 58 years old this man!

Yesterday afternoon was Hamlet at Shakespeare & Co. in Lenox, down the street from Kripalu. We were gifted, us Kripalu Marketeers, with a few free tickets. It was exquisite. I'm still there a little, swimming in the beauty, the comedy, the tragedy of Shakespeare, and how it all manages to be there at once. When I came out into the glaring light of the late afternoon, I'd forgotten who I was. Doth Laura, pray tell, exist? The ever-lovely and famous line inspires: And this above all: to thine ownself be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man. I've heard it so many times, but hearing it at a live performance and in the midst of the story. . . . I sniffled through the whole play . . . the darkness, the passion!: Tis now the very witching time of night, When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out contagion to this world., now could I drink hot blood! and do such bitter business, as the day would quake to look on. It's the adult version of a children's book. . .the witching time?! The churchyards yawning. . .contagion. . . It just doesn't get much better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love "Night Float." The emotions of beginnings and ends so well-described.

ShareThis