Wednesday, March 05, 2008

In the Meantime, Falling Objects


I am still sifting through the thousand plus photos passed along by the Dandy Dwarves, the video production company. I'm about half-way through them. Soon, soon! It'll be worth the wait!

In the meantime, I read an article this morning in the Times about a metal disc that fell from the ceiling of a theater and hit an audience member in the head (she turned out okay), and the writer of the article invited readers to send in their stories of their encounters with random falling objects. Here are some of my favorites:

"While waiting to cross the street at 54th and Broadway a few years back a quart of milk hit me in the head--weird stuff happens." --T. Meyers

"A pigeon flew into my head at 59th & 3rd once when I was eating a hot dog...Part of a gargoyle fell & hit a friend of mine..." --J. Timms

"Walking along the street with my husband and friends a few summers ago, a large praying mantis about 8 inches long landed on my head in a strong wind. Talk about freaking out!!! I’m sure he wasn’t aiming for my hair…it landed on me with a thud. I was dancing like a crazy woman until my husband pulled it off of me and put it on a tree. We’d never seen such a large one. I hear it’s good luck to have that experience, but I could have done without it..." --Kim

"About 6 years ago my coworker and I were walking on 9th Avenue in the 50s and a ceramic flowerpot fell off a third floor balcony and hit her on the head...She had a concussion for a week." --Carolyn

"Just a direct hit of seagull doo into my beer at a baseball game, during the pre-game 'toss a ball into the little hole' event. The seagull and I should have won the car." --ap

"During The Mystery of Edwin Drood, the actors in one scene started throwing around stale bread, and I got conked in the head with a stale bagel..." --S. Katz

"I’ve lived in South Florida for years, and have had a number of experiences of large palm fronds dropping from trees near me. They are very heavy, and can do a lot of damage if they hit you." --Sally


No comments:

ShareThis