Wednesday, April 09, 2008

National Poetry Month, Day #8 & #9: William Carlos Williams and Andrew Vecchione

These two work together.

This is Just to Say
by William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


Sorry But It Was Beautiful
by Andrew Vecchione, 6th Grade, in response

Sorry I took your money and burned it but
it looked
like the world falling apart when it crackled
and burned
So I think it was worth it after all you can't
see the
world fall apart every day.

1 comment:

Rachel Yoder said...

I love that WCW poem. I use it to teach rhetoric, such as "So when do you know he's not sorry, and why? What different choices could he have made with language had he wanted this to be a genuine apology?" I always end with the kicker that this is really a poem to his wife about his cheating ways. WCW, you dog.

The 6th grader poem is awesome alongside the WCW. Just brilliant. Was this a student who you taught?

ShareThis